The CARE NYC Western Queens Caregiver Program provides information, referrals, counseling and respite to family caregivers - those family members or friends who are providing care to physically disabled or cognitively impaired seniors, grandparents caring for grandchildren and seniors caring for a disabled adult. Respite service provides temporary relief from caregiving responsibilities on a limited basis and can include in-home care or adult day care services. Position Summary:
The Bilingual Social Worker working under the name of Caregiver Support Specialist is responsible for conducting detailed assessments of caregivers and their care receivers to determine client needs and eligibility for services and engaging with client to develop a care plan. He/She will also provide ongoing counseling, assistance and referrals for benefits & entitlements, education and information about caregiving supports, and will facilitate educational training events for caregivers. The social worker will also lead a Spanish speaking support group for people caring for a person with Alzheimer’s or other dementia. The role may also include performing outreach in the community to identify and build a new client base. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct intake and assessment screening of both caregiver and care receiver, assessing mental and physical health needs and supports, and financial eligibility for benefits, entitlements and respite services.
• Perform home visits to both caregivers and care receivers to evaluate unmet needs.
• Collaborate with the caregiver to develop a plan of care and implement constructive short and long-term interventions through counseling, education about caregiving supports, long-term planning, and assistance with benefits.
• Link caregivers to other service providers such as mental health, medical care, and financial management services as needed.
• Lead a Spanish speaking support group, providing emotional support and psycho-education about dementia.
• Provide timely documentation and maintenance of client files and progress notes.
• Participate in outreach activities throughout Western Queens to increase awareness among caregivers about the services of the Caregiver Program.
• Work as part of the team to support the needs of the program. Working Conditions:
The work of this role will take place in an office setting and in clients’ homes, involving use of public or private transportation. Job Qualifications:
• MSW or BSW with experience in social services, and senior benefits; caregiver services preferred.
• Bilingual Spanish/English.
• Must have strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, and experience with client databases. Experience with STARS/PeerPlace is preferred but not required.
• Ability to track and report on data is essential.
• Must be able to communicate effectively and appropriately with other team members, community agencies, and clients with diverse opinions, values and cultures. How to Apply:
• Send cover letter and resume to ****, Attn: Katie Hine or mail to 43-31 39th Street, Sunnyside, NY 11104. Indicate “Bilingual Social Worker (Full Time Permanent) – Your Name” in the subject line. EOE